You may remember her as "Cherry White" from the show China Beach. She was a Red Cross Volunteer (a "Doughnut Dolly" as they were called, amongst other things) who was in Viet Nam searching for her lost brother Rick White. Her character was killed off towards the end of Season Two. In one scene she truly embodied the strength of so many of the female volunteers as she comforted one of the new recruits in a bunker during a fire fight. Her determination to calm the other young woman made me wonder just who she was as an actress and want to learn more about her.
Woods, pictured bottom right, was born in Chicago, Illinois in the summer of 1966 and has also played in Welcome Home, Bobby, Lady Blue, One More Saturday Night, In the Mood and The Betty Ford Story.
These are just a few things that I've learned while researching:
1. Her first name is Susan.
2. Nan is her middle name.
3. She's a Cancer (06/21/1966).
4. China Beach was her last role acting.
5. She lives in Chicago with her husband and family.
All things considered, I think she's had a pretty respectful career. It may not have been long, but the work she produced had substance, life. Her character is one of my favorites and I'm glad to see that the series has been preserved and not allowed to disappear into the infinity of time and space (okay, well, maybe not space, but still).
If I were ever able to meet her, I think I'd like to know:
1. What made you decide to leave acting?
2. Several of your fans have asked where you've gone or what you've done since China Beach. Have you ever considered a reunion of sorts with the rest of the cast?
3. Do you regret not having a longer acting career?
4. Favorite hobby?
5. One thing you'll always remember about your time at China Beach?
6. Do you wish that you had been able to more fully develop any of your characters?